Thursday, November 3, 2011

Hot Type!




This time around I used a different way to find inspiration for the type blog. I tried to think of different forms of typ
e and googling them to see if theyactually exist. First I tried looking up plush type like stuffed animal typography, but I didn't find anything worth mentioning. But then I tried looking for type made out of fire, and sure enough I found some inspirational fire type! I found two different sets of cool typography that were related to fire. Hence the theme of my post "Hot Type."

First, I found the work of a designer who attended a design school in Israel. One project of his was called Fire Poi Typography, which he used fire spinning to photograph each letter of the alphabet made from fire.



Second, I found some really amazing typography from the Sanborn Maps Company which was a company that was initially established to estimate fire insurance liabilities. They would make maps of cities in the North America for this purpose, but they also made the maps into works of art by incorporating elaborate typography. All of the examples on this website are from 1880 to 1920. "The maps were designed to assist fire insurance agents in determining the degree of hazard associated with a particular property and therefore show the size, shape, and construction of dwellings, commercial buildings, and factories as well as fire walls, locations of windows and doors, sprinkler systems, and types of roofs." The maps were lithographically printed.

No comments:

Post a Comment