Wednesday, March 28, 2012

HAND-done type

Like most designers should, I have a list of design blogs that I check frequently for inspiration and to stay up to date with trends. While check Colossal last week (a favorite blog of mine that covers all ranges of art from instillations to photography) I came across this nifty piece of hand-done type. Literally, HAND-done type.

I instantly thought about this blog and thought the class would enjoy it. Talk about learning all the physical parts of letterforms! This project captured them all, both upper and lowercase. It is created by designer Tien-Min Liao. She used paint on her hand to gesturally transform the shapes into the type. Sounds easy? But here is the catch..


"I created 26 sets of these inked shapes and drew them on my hands. Each set is made to create both an upper-case and a lower-case letter, such as A and a. I also created some italic letters, hand-writing letters and some new typefaces with the same shapes."

Tien-Min Liao used the same exact markings on her hand to create all of the variations in the letterform she created.

This reminded me of sign language, but to a more literal extent. So here is a clever way to portray sign language out of the ordinary, by JK Keller. If you want to see the worst designed website ever, click the homepage...


No comments:

Post a Comment